In 1997, I founded Habitat Espresso with Matt Gurney (now of FareStart) as a not for profit coffee house in Seattle. I was still an employee at Microsoft while Matt managed the day to day operations of the cafe. In 1998, we purchased the Four Angels Cafe. Both coffeehouses sold organic coffee and allowed customers to vote for their favorite local charities that shared in the proceeds from the stores.
With the help of Microsoft public relations, we had numerous media appearances nationally and locally. The videos are featured below.
- NBC Nightly News Big Perks
- Habitat Espresso on the Lehrer News Hour (transcript)
- ABC Good Morning America
- Canal+ on Habitat Espresso (in French)
- Habitat Espresso KCPQ
- Giving Lessons King 5 Seattle
- Lattes for Charity – King 5 Seattle
- Habitat Espresso and Four Angels Cafe – KOMO TV Seattle
- San Jose TV News
Note: We were interviewed for Oprah in a segment that never aired. If anyone from Oprah can get us the video, we’d love to have it.