|References||Software Development Examples|
|Funding Raised||Project Examples|
- Microsoft Director of Technology Keith Rowe (pdf)
- CEO Michael Cann, WineCountry Media (pdf)
- Luvvie Ajayi, Black Women in Politics Database (pdf)
- Carl Coryell-Martin re: The Herbfarm’s $332K Meals for Hospitals
- Avery Trufelman, Podcaster: “I had this little pipe dream for a twitter bot, which Jeff immediately volunteered to build, entirely free of charge. He made it happen quickly and efficiently, and handed me the reins for complete creative control. Whenever it appears in my feed, I feel very grateful.”
- Raised $2 million in funding as CEO of startup GiftSpot. Built 35-person company in three months and set strategic direction. Acquired by GiftCertificates.com within one year.
- Raised $689,500 in three grants from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation to develop Facebook applications for education research and journalism partnerships.
- Raised $580,000 in two grants from the Omidyar Foundation and AspirationTech to expand development of a suite of technology services for nonprofits.
- Raised $332,169 in six weeks for The Herbfarm’s COVID-19 Meals for Hospitals. Launched GoFundMe and Patreon and managed donor communications and PR. See Reference.
Here’s examples of a selection of publicly available work:
- LOANtuitive (application not yet fully public) – Hired as the first employee to recruit and build a technology team for a commercial real estate startup. Recruited key developers, contractors, design partner, investor and advisor. Running product definition, design and development and actively coding. Launched MVP in 3 1⁄2 months on scalable AWS infrastructure.
- Authored Protecting the Privacy of Your Video Conversations (pdf) for Aspiration, a deep dive on security failures with Zoom and the strength of Signal app.
- WineCountry — acted as a technical program manager for the major redesign and rebuild of the suite of websites including Sonoma, and NapaValley. See Reference from CEO Mike Cann.
- Meeting Planner — my earlier startup effort to simplify planning social meetups and business meetings.
- Black Women in Politics Candidate Database — I reached out to Luvvie Ajayi to voluntarily build a fully manageable candidate database expanding on their static list of candidates. The site was built quickly in time for the elections. Its detailed administrative/moderator back end is not viewable. See Reference.
- MSN News and MSNBC. Promoted twice in one year for technical leadership in launching Microsoft’s News site at MSN and its later joint venture with MSNBC on the Internet. See Reference by Director of Technology Keith Rowe.
- Microsoft At Work
- I started with Microsoft Research at age 20 as the At Work team’s Program Manager. At Work was intended as a long term effort to license an embedded Windows OS for office devices.
- TV Commercial of Microsoft At Work Fax provides a glimpse of the early touch screen UX I prototyped and managed usability testing for with two Microsoft graphic designers
- Reifman et al v. Canary Connect Inc, Lead plaintiff in consumer security camera class action case.
Software Development Demos
- Meeting Planner’s Multiple Language Google Translate Integration with Yii Framework — While building Meeting Planner and writing programming tutorials for a startup series at Envato Tuts+, I wrote one about using the Yii Framework’s translation files and I realized that imperfect translations could be automated by integrating them to Google Translate. This video demonstrates how Meeting Planner has imperfect translations for about 20 languages generated completely by Google Translate. The video shows language resource file examples as well as sitemaps that allow international users to discover the Meeting Planner service.
I have more than 200 media mentions, here is an assortment:
- Won Wired’s Vanish contest helping locate Evan Ratliff
- Habitat Espresso — not for profit coffeehouse in Seattle I founded, while at Microsoft
- Microsoft Hits $1 Trillion in All-Time Revenue (Time), also in CNet, Business Insider, GeekWire et al.
- Bill Gates Owes A Billion Internet Justice (Sometimes Daily with Amanda Congdon
I have more than thirty published articles, here are some examples:
- Commentary: Outrage over FBI’s online tactics highlights knee-jerk Internet culture (GeekWire)
- Investing for Change: A Microsoft millionaire wonders if his money can express his values (Seattle Weekly cover story)
- Where are Washington’s K-12 dollars? Just ask Microsoft shareholders (Crosscut)
- How to Save $420 on Your Comcast Bill This Year (Puget Sound Business Journal)
- Antarctic Traveler (Grist)
- Wrote 215 articles for Envato Tuts+ such as:
- Wrote eleven sponsored articles at Programmable Web for apilayer:
- Wrote several articles for Mailgun such as:
- Engaging Youth in Social Media: Is Facebook the New Media Frontier? (pdf)
- Managing Consumer Credit Delinquency in the US Economy: A Multi-Billion Dollar Management Science Application
- During my internship at GE Research and Development, I coded the PAYMENT system described in the research, including integration with Lindo’s Lingo optimization software
While at Microsoft, I received these patents as part of my Microsoft At Work:
- Method and system for providing touch-sensitive screens for the visually impaired, United States #6,496,182
- System and method for facsimile cover page storage and use, United States #5,438,433
- System and method for facsimile load balancing, United States #5,917,615
- Facsimile machine with custom operational parameters, United States #5,539,530